Sunday 23 August 2015

Future of Hyuna/Because I'm The Best Review

I wanna take you seriously but your "dollars" are drawn in coloured pencil...
Hyuna, I'm not sure about you anymore...




I literally just heard about this song a couple of hours ago and after searching for a bit, I found the official video.

I watched the teasers before hand and honestly it felt like one of those songs where the visual would be great but the actual track was gonna be terrible, which seems to be Hyuna's forte sometimes. Which is fine I guess, I mean Hyuna probably isn't looking to be a musically credible artist within the realms of mainstream music anyway...

I feel that's a shame because songs like Change show that she has the potential for it.

Hyuna isn't a ridiculously talented singer, nor is she marked among the best rappers in K-Pop and even her dancing (although very good) is rather limited in the grand scheme of things... K-Pop has grown since 2011 (when she was considered one of the best dancers) and even when she was in the upper echelons of the dancing talent pool, dancers like Min, Jia, Hyoyeon, Kahi, Nicole and others were better than her anyway.

Hyuna's real selling point is her charisma and her understanding of the art of performance, which is what separates her from the plethora of arguably more talented artists and even her own group, which is why she is able to stand so firmly as a solo artist.

However charisma can only take you so far as an artist, who here has heard Ricky Martin's new single? How about a K-Pop example... PSY, where's he at? He is somewhat unfortunate in that regard because he actually is good at rapping (although his more recent material would lead you to believe otherwise) his selling point was the charismatic old guy dancing in elevators and once that novelty wore off? Well he sort of flew the coop and hasn't produced anything substantial since.

Ironically, most of his 'bandwagon' fans ended up going to Hyuna (and Gain, once they found Gentleman).

"Okay cool... Steal my ice cream, I'll just steal your fans!"

Anyway, I'm going really off topic here... My point is, Hyuna needs to step her musical game up so that she can keep her fans (who actually listen to her music and not just fap to the vids) happy as well as attract new fans as well, if she can do this then she can reach a whole new level of stardom. Ice Cream was a disappointment, Red was awesome and a step in the right direction but it needed a little more oomph.

So you can imagine the shit-eating grin I had on when this came out.


Can I just say that everyone is going so hard in 2015? The Gayo Daejun are gonna be amazing this year!

The production is great, Ilhoon fit perfectly, the beat bangs like dynamite in a quarry and Hyuna is so fierce on the track here. Everything is put together so well, although she needs to stop the Keith Ape/OG Maco/Whoever-the-fuck stupid squeals at the bridge that Zico gets hard over, just no.

While I may have mixed feelings about her career as a whole, this song sold her to me as an artist, which is what she is primarily.

My only wish is that this song hits daebak and Hyuna can use songs like this one as a blue print for her future work... Knowing my luck that ain't gonna happen though.

1 comment: